Although Christmas was three months ago, today (March 29, 2012) certainly feels like it as SAP delivers updates to its mobile business intelligence applications. SAP BusinessObjects Explorer 4.0.4 and SAP BusinessObjects Mobile BI 4.1 are available for download in the Apple iTunes store. These apps are beginning to show the first signs of how SAP’s “Mobile First” strategy will unfold, with the mobile applications providing new features and functionality rather than simply replicating what’s available from the desktop or web.
The release summary and links to the documentation are below.
NOTE: Both apps only indicate support for iOS 5. I’ve already upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 5.1, so I hope SAP will quickly test that version.
What’s New in SAP BusinessObjects Explorer Version 4.0.4
- HTTPS support through email bookmark for corporate connection
- Support of iOS 5
- Bookmarks for offline usage
- Save password feature
What’s New in SAP BusinessObjects BI Mobile Version 4.1.0
- Integration with Sybase Unwired Platform
- Support of SAP Crystal Reports content
- Support of SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence functions, like drill, sections, input controls
- Integration with the SAP StreamWork application for improved collaboration
- Annotation capabilities for richer collaboration
- Improved security options, like document time-to-live, and disablement of password and data saving
- Data overlay on Google maps
An in-depth description of the new features and capabilities can be found in the User Guide.
For a brief tutorial, check the SAP YouTube channel.
NOTE: Although BI Mobile works with SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 SP5, SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Support Pack 2, and SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Feature Pack 3, you’ll need to patch your server to the latest patch level to take advantage of new features and functionality. Otherwise, there will be no perceptible difference in the app from its previous version.
You can find all the documentation on the SAP Help Portal – https://help.sap.com/boall_en
or via SAP Notes – http://service.sap.com/notes
User guide: SAP Note 1696768
Administrator and Report Designer’s guide: SAP Note 1696764
Release Notes guide: SAP Note 1696771
Security Guide: SAP Note 1696770
Error Messages guide: SAP Note 1696772
How quickly will you patch your server to start using the new goodies?